Carmen Miranda Goes to Bali
I'm puttin' on my tophat
The Fallacy of Prohibition
Sleeping at the Job
One Photo, Please!
The National Sound
Same same, but different
- One night we saw a five-year-old kid turning
cartwheels across six lanes of traffic in downtown Mexico City, for
tips just before midnight.
- Mexico seems to want to be America.
Mexicans seem to have lost pride in their heritage and their land.
We rode a bus from San Cristobal de las Casas to Tuxla-Guteirrez, and
the amount of clear-cutting and trash-dumping is depressing.
- In front of every bank, there are machine
gun-toting guards, at least three.
- Mangos - they're served two ways.
You can get them slightly green, peeled and sliced with a squeeze of
lime juice, sprinkled with salt and ground chili pepper, or perfectly
ripen peeled and cut to resemble a pine cone on a stick. Delicious!
- Fresh fruit salads on the streets - oranges,
coconut, mango, apples, pineapples, etc., freshly prepared.